Sharon Cornu was sought out specifically by Peralta Colleges to assist and develop a community engagement plan as a result of the Oakland A’s interest to develop a ball park on District property. Sharon’s in-depth knowledge and expertise in community and economic development allowed her create a strategic framework inclusive of high level analysis, budgetary overview, and a clear pathway to move the Peralta Community College District forward. Sharon’s work in our community is invaluable and her remarkable leadership is incomparable. I truly value Sharon’s professional acumen and look forward to our continued partnership.
Her service with the Land Use work group showed what the work could be, how strong the potential for collaboration and leadership is when carefully cultivated.
Jacquie Hoffman, Board President, Non-Profit Housing Association of Northern California
Sharon exhibits an unusual gift for taming multidimensional challenges, seizing data and opportunities to build alliances and craft strategic wins.The process is inclusive wizardry, resulting in transformed communities, awakened to their potential.
Strategic Communications and Coalition Building
To support a national economic development and policy center, I reframed economic security issues and revitalized an advocacy coalition. Working with university researchers, statewide advocates, and legislators, we created training materials and a series of 58 county-level fact sheets in English, Spanish and Cantonese — showcasing for the client’s leadership and contributing to a revitalized coalition and campaign for Californians relying on SSI.
Marketing for New Business
A hip co-working space needed a hand with the marketing and management of an Event for Event Planners. I pulled out the rolodex to help host an over-the-top successful event and launch their valuable book of new business. The project delivered greater-than-anticipated billings on shoestring expenses, enhancing the sustainability of an innovative business incubator.
Strategic Communications and Campaign Management
Working with transit employees at the regional bus service, I managed messaging, press conferences, and employer relations through a complex series of negotiations. Through speakers bureau training, social and earned media, community leader briefings, and stakeholder engagement, I supported my client and their employer in reaching a constructive settlement.
• Anew America – Strategic support and constituency development for business planning by social enterprises in immigrant and low-income communities
• Central Labor Council of Contra Costa County, AFL-CIO – Communications support including political mail, activist newsletters, website and social media management, leadership and activist trainings. Strategic support to community benefits campaign for Concord Naval Weapons Station re-use
• East Bay Housing Organizations – Messaging and strategic communications around state cap and trade allocation, EBHO’s role in the Community Coalition for a Sustainable Concord, and 30th Anniversary Celebration
• Impact Hub Oakland – Marketing and management support for innovative co-working space and incubator. Event planning, marketing materials, systems support
• Insight Center for Community Economic Development – Multiple projects to spur, analyze local development and economic security issues, including support for Elder Index on Self-Sufficiency, #CA4SSI, the BIG Initiative for local employment, procurement, investment and philanthropy, and a case study of Richmond opportunity
• Leadership Center for the Common Good (Center for Popular Democracy) / Rockefeller Family Fund – Authored report analyzing opportunities in local policy initiatives, coalition building and leadership development
• Local Initiatives Support Corporation (Healthy Richmond) – Coordinated outreach on procurement opportunities to Richmond, CA small and local businesses to improve shared prosperity, local hiring and community wealth building
• Non-Profit Housing Association of Northern California – Communications, advocacy and electoral strategies for regional industry leader, including leadership development, fundraising, and staff / volunteer training
• Oakland Votes Redistricting Coalition / James Irvine Foundation – Initiated, managed coalition to defend Voting Rights Act. Grassroots redistricting campaign brought sunlight and neighborhood participation to process
• Peralta Community College District – Research and pre-planning for community engagement process in workforce and economic development, with an eye toward social enterprise and removing obstacles to employment
• Pete Stark Re-Election Committee – Campaign manager for 20-term progressive stalwart, Medicare expert and anti-war activist in challenging new district
• The California Endowment – Consultant to Built Environment Workgroup, 14 grassroots groups collaborating for housing, transit, food justice in East Oakland. Housing policy power analysis, support for transit advocacy, food justice, urban agriculture
• United Food and Commercial Workers Western States Council – Leadership conference and strategic plan updates, including support to executive team and legislative advocates on new partnerships
• Urban Strategies Council – Organizing and media strategies for Hon. Sandré Swanson’s Assembly Select Committee Hearing on Boys and Men of Color
• Youth Uprising – Working with Aspiration Tech and key staff, developed a communications matrix to align social media, communications, and press outreach for leading community transformation youth center
Partial list January 2018. View research projects at Research Gate.